Auditions: Blood Done Sign My Name
UPDATE: Auditions for March 12 have been canceled due to weather. We will still be having auditions Tuesday, March 13 and adding an additional opportunity Thursday, March 15. We apologize for any inconvenience and travel safely.
Auditions: March 12 and March 13 in the RLT Greenroom at 7:00pm. Registration from 6:30pm in the Sutton Lobby. Please sign up for an audition slot.
Callbacks: Saturday, March 17 at 5:30 PM in the Sutton Theatre at RLT
First cast meeting: Monday April 2 at 7:00 PM in the Studio at RLT
Conflicts: No Conflicts after April 15. No more than 5 conflicts for the entire duration of the rehearsal process.
Preview: Thursday, May 10
Opening: Friday, May 11
Performances: May 11 through May 27 with a possible extension through June 3. The production will be performed in the Gaddy-Goodwin Teaching Theatre.
Strike: May 27 (or June 3, if extended) following the 3:00pm show. All actors are expected to participate in strike.
About the show
In this world premiere ensemble version, Mike Wiley brings to life the recollections of author Timothy Tyson surrounding the 1970 murder of Henry “Dickie” Marrow in Oxford, NC, and the events that followed.
Marrow, who was black, was chased from a local store by three white men after reportedly making a crude remark to one of the men’s wives. They brutally beat Marrow, and then killed him with a bullet to the head in view of multiple witnesses. Despite the eyewitness reports, an all-white jury acquitted the men. The town’s black community responded to the events with an uprising that destroyed downtown businesses and several tobacco warehouses that held at least a million dollars in harvested crops.
Tyson, who was 10 at the time, recounts how the conflagration of events shaped his life. He offers us an opportunity to examine our own roles in the complex and often confusing racial fabric of America.
For more information, see the Blood Done Sign My Name show page.
About the roles
- Older Tim, Bailiff (White Male 40s)
- Younger Tim, Larry Teel (White Male Early 20s)
- Boyhood Tim (White Male 10yr)
- Robert Teel, State Trooper, White man #1 (White Male 50s)
- Eddie McCoy, James Ferguson (Black Male Late 20s)
- Martha Tyson, Judy Teel (White Female 30s or 40s)
- Boyhood Gerald Teel, Vern Tyson (White Male 10yr)
- Vernon Tyson (White Male 40s)
- Francis Taltton (White Female 50s)
- Thad, C.R. Wells, Grand Dragon, Anonymous Klansman (White Male 50s)
- Rosanna Allen, Caroline Thorpe (Black Female 20s)
- Ben Chavis, Dickie (Black Male 20s)
- Boo Chavis, Lonnie Fields (Black Male 20s)
- Golden Frinks, Gamblin Man (Black Male 40s)
- Fannie, Patty, Eveline Downey (Black Female 50s)
- Hugh Currin, Doctor CV Richardson, White Man #2, Watkins (White Male 40s or 50s)
About the auditions
Please sign up for an audition slot on our SignupGenius page.
The Director will provide sides to actors at the auditions. There is no need to prepare material prior to the auditions.
Callbacks will be Saturday, March 17 at 5:30 PM in the Sutton Theatre at RLT. The callback list will be posted on the RLT website by Noon on Thursday, March 15.
About the production team
- Director: Joseph Megel
- Scenic Designer: Sonya Drum
- Lighting Designer: Cailen Waddell
- Costume Designer: Jenny Mitchell
- Stage Manager: Karyn Aberts
Interested in auditioning? Here are some forms to fill out and bring with you to auditions:
- Sutton/City Series Audition form (DOC or PDF) — please fill out
- Conflict Calendar (DOC)– please list every weeknight or weekend day that you have a conflict
Contact Patrick Torres at email@example.com with any questions.