When She Had Wings
A young girl dreams about taking flight in the makeshift airplane that she has built in her backyard. After a huge storm, she finds an elderly woman who looks and sounds like a bird, but who just might be Amelia Earhart. The mysterious lady has taken up residence in the cockpit. Using live sound and puppetry, this play reminds us that, with a little imagination, anything is possible.
Director: Patrick Torres
Scroll down to see photos from the show!
Reviews of When She Had Wings:
- CVNC: “This compact little dynamo of a play is a winner, and you would do yourself a favor by going to see it, along with however many children you can bring with you.”
- WRAL Go Ask Mom: “This is a fun show with a lot of sweet moments. Overton does an amazing job bringing all of B’s complex emotions to life. And Sound Op’s role is a lot of fun for kids. My 7-year-old, especially, loved watching him make the various noises.”
- Video from Go Ask Mom: Interview with Paul James, actor and special effects guy who plays Sound Op in the show.
Support and Sponsors
When She Had Wings is presented by PNC.
Celebrate the Joy of Flying
RLT is proud to celebrate the joy of flying through a collaboration with the North Carolina Museum of History and on these pre and post show activities.
Tar Heel Fliers! Women Pioneers of the Air
She flew through the air with the greatest of ease… Would you help test parachutes? Fly experimental planes? Learn about some early North Carolina pilots, and their airy exploits! The Gaddy-Goodwin Theatre Lobby is honored to display photos of early female navigators supplied by the Museum of History.
Flight in the Garden with the NC Museum of History
Saturday March 18, 2017
- 11:30am-12:45pm (prior to the 1:00pm show)
- 3:30pm-4:45pm (prior to the 5:00pm show)
Learn how to fold different types of paper airplanes. Then test your creation using the proving ground in the garden.
Post Show Discussion with the Director and Cast!
Join us on March 25th after the 1:00 pm performance for a discussion with the cast and Artistic Director, Patrick Torres, to talk about the process of making B’s story fly! Get insight into the world of the play and learn how the creative team worked to bring the elements of the story to life!
Tickets available now. Buy them online or from the box office at 919-821-3111. Group sales will also be available from the box office.
Tickets for When She Had Wings are part of a Youth Series membership. Learn more about Season Memberships.
Ticket prices (including taxes):
- Adults: $14.00
- Children (12 and under): $10.00
- Rhonda Brocki
- Lilly Overton
- Emma Johnson
- Sound Op
- Paul James
- Aaron Young
All performances are wheelchair accessible.
Assistive listening devices are available for all performances.
Audio description for those with visual disabilities. The Sunday, March 26, performance at 5pm will be described.