Raleigh Little Theatre exists to create and teach theatre in a way that serves our community, offers a place for all to live their best creative life, and embraces diverse stories, artists, and students in a meaningful and powerful way. We are committed to the work of justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism in all aspects of what we do — from producing a show to working with our volunteers to our hiring and employment practices. We want and need to do better and to do more, as we have not always gotten it right and have not done enough.
We are committed to doing this work in a very real way and we want our community to hold us accountable. We understand that the work is something that we have to do everyday through every moment, and that it will require us to look at our policies, our systems, our infrastructure, our finances, and ourselves. As a community theatre, we have a responsibility to use our position to dismantle the inhumane system that has poisoned our stories, our stages, and our hearts for far too long. We are leaning in with love, determination, and hope.
– Executive Director Heather Strickland and Artistic Director Patrick Torres, October 2020
RLT Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
Raleigh Little Theatre values everyone’s story. As an organization, we will intentionally create a welcoming environment through a long-term, holistic approach to inclusion and diversity. We commit ourselves to actively seeking out perspectives that are not our own, encouraging learning, growth, and cultural awareness, engaging community conversations, and embracing conflict as a force for change.
We strive to be an equitable, diverse, antiracist, and inclusive organization that is accessible to all, and maintain an organizational culture that:
- Values a diverse staff, board, and volunteer community that understands and actively supports inclusion
- Produces shows that engage and reflect the stories of the community, where diverse casts and crews can thrive
- Provides educational opportunities that are culturally responsive and student-focused
- Boldly prioritizes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all activities, policies and practices, communications, and operations.
Goals and Commitments
GOAL: Content is engaging for and reflective of the community we serve, and all students, casts, crews, and volunteers can thrive.
- We commit to intentionally seeking diverse perspectives, stories, and resources.
- We commit to our students seeing themselves represented in all learning.
- We commit to valuing the opportunity held within every production and not basing worth solely on financial benefit.
GOAL: Staff, board, artists, and volunteers are committed to equity, diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
- We commit to ongoing training and learning.
- We commit to being a fully inclusive organization.
- We commit to an onboarding process for volunteers, teaching artists, and artists that centers antiracism, equity, and inclusion.
GOAL: Equity, diversity, and inclusion is prioritized in all activities, policies, practices, communications, and operations.
- We commit to HR policies and practices that intentionally recruit and support underrepresented groups.
- We commit to conducting full assessments of the organizational culture.
- We commit to accessibility in all areas.
- We commit to reviewing and revising all policies, procedures, and practices.
- We commit to creating and implementing an equity, diversity, and inclusion action plan.
Updated October 2020.