Position vacant: Technical Director
Raleigh Little Theatre (RLT) is one of the longest running community theatres in the US. We are proud of our rich history of community theatre and volunteer involvement. We seek a Technical Director to join our small team of paid full time staff to support this mission into the future starting late July 2017.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Technical Director’s primary scope of responsibility is to implement the scenic and creative vision for our production season. The Technical Director is responsible for the planning, execution and completion of all scenic elements for our productions and assists in the recruitment, training, and management of all technical volunteers. Design opportunities available based on applicant skills and season needs.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design Implementation:
- Create shop drawings from design sketches and develop build schedule based on rehearsal and performance calendar
- Work with Scenic Designer and Stage Manager to tape out rehearsal spaces and other technical preparations for rehearsals and performances
- Attend all production meetings
- Run regularly scheduled weekly work calls with volunteers
- Coordinate volunteers and space usage with contracted designers in all technical areas, providing support as necessary
- Volunteer Management:
- Provide a friendly, safe, and positive working environment
- Seek out, encourage, and train volunteers for all productions
- Maintain a current file of all technical volunteers
- Participate in volunteer recruitment efforts both on and off site
- Shop Management:
- Maintain a neat and orderly scene shop, stage and storage facility
- Keep shop equipment in good working order
- Reorder supplies, track purchases and receipts keeping in established budget
- Maintain an inventory of all scenery, properties, tools, materials and equipment owned by the theatre, including lists necessary for insurance purposes
Successful applicants will be able to prove progressive responsibility for managing projects, managing crews, working against tight timelines. 3-5 years experience in Scenic Construction is required, experience in all other technical areas a plus, but not required, BFA or MFA preferred. Strong rigging skills and proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks desired. To be considered, please submit professional resume and three professional theatre references to email@example.com. RLT will conduct a criminal background check on all qualified final candidates to be considered for the position. Candidate review and interviews will start April 10, 2017 and continue until position is filled.
This is a full-time year round salaried position with benefits and generous vacation package. For more information about Raleigh Little Theatre, our mission and our program please visit raleighlittletheatre.org.