Job Vacancy: Associate Costume Designer
Raleigh Little Theatre (RLT) is one of the longest running community theatres in the US. We are proud of our rich history as a community theatre and our volunteer involvement. We seek an Associate Costume Designer to join our small team of paid full-time staff.
Reporting to the Costume Designer, the Associate Costume Designer’s primary scope of responsibility is to engage volunteers in the successful implementation of costume construction for each production while also serving as the Costume Designer for shows throughout each season. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
In the area of design:
- Work with Directors and other Designers to achieve a cohesive look for each production;
- Determine resources needed for each assigned show;
- Purchase/pull all the materials of clothing necessary for each assigned production;
- Draft Patterns and cut/sew costumes for assigned show;
- Attend all production meetings for assigned shows;
- Coordinate and attend fittings;
- Ensure costumes/wigs are available for first dress rehearsal;
- Communicate with volunteer dressers where necessary changes will take place during performances;
- Maintain a show budget.
- Provide a friendly, safe, and positive working environment;
- Seek out, encourage, and train volunteers for all productions;
- Maintain a clear schedule for volunteers;
- Participate in volunteer recruitment efforts both on and off-site.
- Maintain a neat and orderly shop;
- Assist with shop and clothing inventory and storage maintenance;
- Assist Costume Designer with yearly budget management and tracking the supply budget;
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment, tools, and supplies.
Successful applicants will be able to prove progressive responsibility for managing projects, managing volunteer crews, and working against tight timelines. Three years of experience in Costume Design or MFA preferred. The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate excellent communication skills, the ability to work with a diverse volunteer crew, and will be proficient with computers and Google Suite. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, a professional resume, three professional theatre references, and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. RLT will conduct a criminal background check on all qualified final candidates to be considered for the position. Candidate review and interviews will start August 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is December 1, 2018.
This is a full-time year-round salaried position with benefits and generous vacation package. For more information about Raleigh Little Theatre, our mission and our program please visit www.raleighlittletheatre.org