Raleigh Little Theatre - Fanfare discussRaleigh Little Theatre

Raleigh Little Theatre promotions

News: Welcome to RLT's new discussion forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Aug 29 2014, 02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handing in unused tickets  (Read 5835 times)
David Watts
Administrator

davidwwatts@yahoo.com Dav1dWatts davidwwatts
View Profile Email
« on: Nov 15 2007, 01:41 AM »

OK, here's an idea and I'd like everyone's opinion on what would work.

Background: If an audience member has tickets to a show but they can't make it, we (RLT) typically don't refund their money or exchange their ticket for another show (members can do exchanges). However, we do accept tickets back at the box office and if it is a sold-out show, we have a much better chance of actually filling the seats.

Problem: The trick is, people don't always turn in their unused tickets, so it is very difficult to decide whether a patron is simply running late or they really aren't coming (the box office occasionally makes calculated risks).

So perhaps if we make it easier to let people hand back tickets, they're more likely to do it. We let them do it in person at the box office, and I think also over the phone.

Solution: Provide a way on the Web site to let people "hand back" their unused tickets. Perhaps a Web page that asks for their name and seat numbers (I think even Gaddy tickets have some unique number) and a check box that says "I won't be using these tickets and let RLT resell them".

Then the box office could get the notification and could confidently resell the ticket knowing that the patrons won't be coming.

What do people think?
What are the pitfalls?

David.

David Watts
Forum administrator and RLT web master
RLT Board of Directors
Haskell Fitz-Simons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16 2007, 08:44 PM »

In fact, I think there are legalities involved in "double selling" a seat (i.e. re-selling a seat that has already been paid for, and the patron is a no-show.... not an issue if the seat has simply been reserved). If the patron decides not to attend, many theatres have a process whereby they can "donate" their seat back to the theatre (effectively making a donation to a non-profit organization) and the theatre can then re-sell with impunity. Setting up such an option on-line should not be impossible....?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: